Pages

Friday 2 August 2013

Six months on.

Last post here was when I wrote about getting my new job. I'm now 6 months in to the position and things are going really well. I've been given a lot of independence on my research, responsibility for a laboratory area, students and confidence to apply for funding and seek out collaborations.

In general, my field is high frequency ultrasound. I find myself doing a lot of imaging  with the probes we're developing and fabricating, mainly of dental samples with a view to detecting and measuring acid erosion at high frequency. I still do a little bit of manipulation of cells, but not as much as I would like to.

Career changes

A couple of weeks ago I visited my PhD supervisor, and informal mentor during my last Post-doc position, to have a chat about work and how things have panned out for me since leaving Dundee. We both agree that leaving was the best thing I could have done for my career (and mental well being, but more about that at a later date).

The research group I now work in is a very small group, with two PhD students, myself as a Post-doc RF, a deputy Group leader/lecturer and my line manager who is also the group leader. The recession hasn't been kind to non-red-brick universities in the UK, and as such there has been a lull over the last few years for research funding at UWS. Ultimately, my position was created to re-start biomedical ultrasound imaging at UWS with a view to bring in funding to increase the group. No pressure then.

Suffice to say, the last year at Dundee University was the worst period of my adult life, and one that I'm in no rush to repeat. However, I did meet a few new friends who got me through it and kept me sane/alive. I owe them more than I could possibly say.

NYC

The major event in my work calendar, and one that has been looming since April, is a two and a half month visit to New York to do research with a leading Ultrasound group. In the first month of this new job, my boss recommended that I apply through SUPA for a travel grant to collaborate. In my last position, these opportunities were never brought forward. While I was allowed to travel a bit, my boss was of the opinion that he would deal with grants and funding, we do the work. His work. Looking back, this is not a healthy way to train young scientists who want a career in Research.

Writing a grant application for the first time is a daunting experience. Project costs, times, aims, goals, outcomes, targets have to be designed and, most importantly, sold to the judging committee. I'm not that good at 'blowing my own trumpet', something that comes from my Scottish genetics, and also from three years of having my confidence in my academic abilities pummelled in to the ground as an RA at Dundee.

Anyway's, it turns out that my application was better than I thought it was and I leave in a couple of weeks. I will be staying in Brooklyn and working in Mid-town Manhattan. I'm equal part excited and terrified.

Excitement versus terror

Excitement comes from working in a highly regarded laboratory, in one of the busiest cities in the world, meeting new people, and living in a different country for the first time in my life. Terror comes from much the same places, and the added fear that comes with being separated from my family and support network for a prolonged period of time. My wife is able to visit for 3 weeks in September, but for the other 8 weeks, I'll be flying solo in to the unknown.

I promise to post regular updates here during my visit, hopefully using it as an academic travelogue.

1 comment:

  1. It is such an exciting opportunity for you. I really hope it goes well. I am so glad you are in a place where you get to pursue your own research.

    ReplyDelete