Pages

Monday 2 November 2009

I'm not needy, I'm determined

Today was rather uneventful, woke up early, dropped the wife off at the bus station and then went to work. Played around with some dictyostelium cells and electricity, then came home. The makings of a great day.

I sorted out my drummer conundrum in that we have a new drummer now, and the old one is happy to stand in any time the new can't make it. If that makes sense? I think it will work out for the best for everyone involved, and we've got our first full band practice in a couple weeks.

The new drummer, Woody, fell in my lap which was nice. For some reason I seem to have garnered a reputation for asking anyone I find who plays an instrument in to playing in the band, to the point in which people I would consider friends warn others about speaking about their musical abilities in front of me.

This couldn't really be further from the truth. The band I am playing with came together after I placed a post up on a popular internet forum looking for a bassist, which was replied to by one person (this person became the bassist). I had a mate who was learning mandolin and expressed and interest in playing some folk music with me, I said we'd give it a go and before I knew it he was my mandolin player.

The singers came about in much the same way, an interest was expressed in my stuff and I thought I've got nothing to lose. My original drummer has played with me for over 6 years, starting after my first band lost a drummer. And finally, my guitarist is someone I've known for around 3 years now through playing music and this is the first time we've actually done stuff together.

Hardly me poaching people at the first mention of their musical capabilities. In fact, even when I had the instrument I am most desperate to have (violin), that came about after the violinist and I met at a few punk rock gigs, and then through some very coy statements about her playing violin did I get the hint. Well, in fact, I didn't get the hint, she had to explicitly tell me she was intentionally being coy so as to not look desperate.

This isn't to mention my sister who plays euphonium, the friend of my wife who played cello at my wedding (her present to us), and many more wonderful people I know who play music but have never been approached to play in my band.

And anyways, at seven members, band practices are difficult enough to organise!

1 comment:

  1. Also, If you recruited people in that way, you'd have made me learn something by now!! :)

    ReplyDelete